Tuesday 22 July 2008

Families at Risk

Yesterday was a hard day. Two of the girls attending the comedor revealed that their father was abusing them. He threatens the mother when he is drunk and makes the girls lie with him. He is foundling them. The one girl spoke up first because her sister has started her menstrual cycle and she is concerned that she might get pregnant if this situation escalates. The older sister who is grown and married was sexually abused by the father starting at age 13! The girls are 12 and 13.

I talked to the mother and she denied everything. I sense that she fears he would hurt her physically and also is concerned for who would care for her family if he is gone. We cannot call the police because there is no forensic evidence because he has not sexually abused them as yet and the mother will not testify against him. Please pray for this family, especially for the father to be delivered from his sin. Pray for protection for the girls and strength for the mother to believe God to provide for her needs.

Later that night I heard another poor neighbor screaming in pain. This was Alicia, Marco's mother, another victim of physical abuse. She was taken to the hospital and returned this morning. Her husband also drinks and hit her across her back with a heavy object. She has 11 boys and is recently pregnant. The doctor says she will probably loose this baby. Please pray for this family, especially for the husbands deliverance from his alcoholism and for Alicia's strength in the Lord. She is a strong Christian women who has endured much. She has fasted and prayed for her husband and her boys.

What can I do ? As I was reading my devotions this morning I was in Matthew 5:43-48 and 1 John 3:14-4:21. These words really helped me to get a good perspective on these situations. I am not to judge the people but to love them. Did not Jesus come to save those who were lost. I sorrow for their sin that not only destroys them but others. I have hope in God that he will deliver and set free those who are in bondage to sin.

Practically my desire is to build a shelter for women and their children with a working project so that they can make a living while there. In this country there are not many or any resources available for women especially the poor.

Please stand with me as I go forth in love to bring the Word through teaching and demonstrating His love for every one of these people be they sinner or saved.

Love, Myra

No comments: